20 September 2022
The following quality criteria serve as guidelines for the best possible monetisation of out-stream inventory in Europe. The contents of this guideline are based on market developments over the past 24 months. The performance values are assessed by smartclip’s proprietary systems as well as well-known ad verification providers.
- Installation and regular maintenance of an ads.txt and/or app-ads.txt file
- Correct transfer of the referrer and/or BundleIDs
- Correct transmission of the consent string signal according to TCF 2.0 (EU only)
- Correct transfer of the App Store URL for in-app inventory
- No violation of applicable law. Compliance with legal safety regulations is obligatory
- Invalid Traffic (IVT) needs to be avoided. In the event that IVT surpasses the predefined threshold, smartclip reserves the right to deactivate the publisher.
- Correct transmission of SupplyChain nodes according to the IAB SupplyChain Object specifications, if all or parts of the inventory are not owned and operated.
If the publisher uses a different out-stream player outside of smartclip technology, the following requirements apply:
- Enabling viewability measurement is required via OM SDK & OMID (or VPAID in exceptional cases, but OM SDK & OMID is the preferred approach)
- Sound off by default
- Automatically starts once 50% of the player becomes visible and stops when less than 50% of the ad is visible
- Automatically pauses video when the user switches tabs
- Player controls must not overlay the video content or must fade out after mouse-over
- No looped playing of the video ad
If the publisher uses the smartclip Out-Stream Player, the above-mentioned requirements are obsolete and only the following requirement applies:
- No custom player sizes are permitted (this may lead to unexpected risks when updates are released)
- Only one video ad is allowed to play at a time within the viewport (applies also in cases of both in-stream and out-stream players running on the same page)
- User-generated content needs to be reviewed by the publisher’s editorial team or approved by smartclip
- Implementation of the player in editorial articles only (not on home or main pages)
- The ideal implementation of the player is in the upper part of the website, but underneath the directly visible area (in agreement with smartclip)
- Implementation of the player between header and footer within the body of the website
- Implementation of the player between two text blocks (no content image directly bordering)
- Exclusive out-stream video player next to editorial content video on the respective article website
- No direct borders to other ad placements on the website
- Prevention of ad clutter in the player environment
- Acceptance for agile integration of new out-stream formats (subject to prior review by smartclip also considering Better Ads)
- No overlay ads that cover the out-stream player to any degree
- The same quality standards apply for both desktop and mobile video ads
Download our EU Out-Stream Quality Criteria Guide here.